Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fortunately I can not include pictures

In the course of our duties as law enforcement officers we have the chance to run across many different types of scenes and situations. Some of them are just plain funny and other make you dead on the inside. Sometimes you have an experience that builds your faith in humanity and other times you wonder if god is watching, or if he even cares. sometimes you are amazed at the amazing stupidity that other display and then there are the times where bad things just happen. No rhyme or reason. No pattern that they fit into. They just happen. They are just accidents.
For me, these are some of the hardest to deal with. I can fathom how somebody may get angry enough to batter a person or worse, or even hurt themselves. We all have those tendencies in ourselves and at times we can loose control or otherwise fall to those tendencies.
Accidents happen to everyone. They are dictated by fate, karma, or the man upstairs, whatever you happen to believe controls the universe. This bothers me. I don't like it when things just happen. I feel like I have to believe in a cause or reason in order to accept it. Accidents rarely have a true reason why they happen. They just do.
Recently we had a medical call that involved an industrial cheese grater and the victims arm. The grater has a high speed barrel the turns and of course you feed the cheese into it and it shreds or grates the cheese. I am sure that you can appreciate what could happen to an arm when it is sucked into that type of machinery. Like I said fortunately for you I can not post pictures of it.
Why did this happen? Ok. Ok. I know, because she stuck her hand where it should not have been while the machine was on? Get out. That's not what I mean. Why does this have to happen to this person? That's what I mean. Sometimes I just don't get it.

No comments: