Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Questionable police parking practices

Question: Where I live (far from your jurisdiction, of course) there's one thing the cops do that drives me NUTS. We're in a college town, and there's plenty of mischief that goes on. Our housing complex is nice, friendly family housing, but across the street is a large complex where plenty of parties are thrown. It's pretty common for the police to be on our street at night.I have no problem with that, and I appreciate their presence. However, I don't appreciate that they choose to park on the street only about a car length from the corner. There's no street lamp, so often when we come home we have a near collision with the cop car parked way too close to the street.My guess is that they're trying to sneak up on the complex to catch the guilty in their crime. Sounds great. But how would I go about complaining nicely to the police department that they need to find a better hiding place? I'm sure they're justified in what they're doing, but I'm pretty sure I'm justified in being concerned for my safety, too.Thanks, and I'll take my answer off the air.

I am glad some one has asked an intelligent question for once. Here's the skinny on why the police might be parking where they are.

When Police are deployed to a certain call, or maybe even just on patrol, there is a number of things that need the attention of the policeman or woman. the following are just a few: Tactical considerations such as officer safety, concealment, cover, response time, route of the response, possible approach lines, once out of the vehicle, and public safety as well as the well being of any possible victims. most of these probably don't even make sense to you and that's fine, what I am trying to illustrate here, is that police offices have allot to think about and plan constantly.

I am pretty sure that the police officer is not trying to make his car a hazard for you. Though your frustration is justified know he is just trying to catch the "bad guys" the best way he can, and that may mean hiding in the non lit corner area of that street.

The best way, believe it or not, to remedy this issue is not to complain at all but to offer a solution to the officer them self, not the department or thier supervisor. This would just perpetuate the "us versus them" mentality that can happen some times. Before you speak to the officer keep this in mind.

He or she is engaged in a covert surveillance duty. Don't walk up to the back of his car and surprise him or her. Call dispatch and ask them if they show an officer at that location and then ask them if they could advise the officer that a citizen will be approaching the vehicle (from whatever direction) to ask the officer a question. Once you contact the officer communicate your frustration in a polite manner and offer your solution. I bet you will be surprised with the officers response.

If the officer is not cordial or is a jerk to you, do what you feel you have to do complaint wise, but keep in mind my last post and also the fact that he may be in that position for a reason that you are not aware of , and that he cannot divulge. Yes, those reasons do occur and more frequently than you may think.

Remember communicate and offer solutions. Don't complain officers hear that enough already.

No comments: